Home

Monday 26 December 2011

Watching movies on TV schedules


Some of my most favourite movies in my teenage years, were caught late night on terrestrial TV schedules. When channel hoping between the five UK channels, it was often that I would stumble upon an interesting film with no knowledge of what it was. This was especially difficult with BBC channels as they never go to an advert break, thereby not showing the title of the film when coming back to the feature after the advert break.

Probably the strongest example for me was the wonderful Battle Royale, that I accidentally started watching on Channel 4, many years ago, after watching a Hollywood film on the same channel. I didn't know what the film was called until I looked at the TV listings the day after. Battle Royale also marked my first venture into South-East Asian cinema. I enjoyed thinking of what I would do in the same situation, especially if I was just given the saucepan lid.

I also watched Pulp Fiction for the first time on BBC uninterrupted, being considerably late to the party to watch the film. I remember being audibly astonished when I realised that the cafe that Jules and Vincent was in at the end of film, was the same time and cafe that Pumpkin and Honey Bunny were in at the start of the film.

In regard to Pulp Fiction, here is a wonderful way to waste a good chunk of your afternoon: Pulp Fiction edited in chronological order, beginning with Christopher Walken and his watch:


TV was always best, when I was younger, at showing horror movies that I might have missed or not been aware about. Watching the Scream trilogy in consecutive weekends on channel 5 was a particular highlight and channel 4's banned season, where they played formerly banned 'video nasties' such as Evil Dead.

When I was just entering my teenage years, other films I stumbled upon were Eyes Wide Shut and Sex and Lucia but that is a whole different type of blog...

What films have you accidentally discovered on TV and now treasure? Let's share some prattle down below.

No comments:

Post a Comment